Civil Partnership Dissolution

Unfortunately as with marriage, not every civil partnership works out and some couples will separate. To formalise the separation and dissolve the civil partnership in England and Wales, the process is similar to divorce.

The procedure is almost the same as that for divorce. The differences are:

  • It is called a dissolution. The conditional order is not called a decree nisi, but a conditional order and the final order is not called a decree absolute.
  • There are only four, not five facts you can rely on. Although there is no corresponding fact to “adultery” in divorce, a relationship or sex with another person could form the basis of an application based on behaviour.
  • While divorce petitions now have to be sent to “divorce centres”, civil partnership dissolution petitions are to be sent to a small number of family court locations, namely: the Central Family Court in London, or the family courts in Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Chester, Exeter, Leeds, Manchester or Newcastle.
. .

12 May 2016 by Andrea Woelke